Hi,  Thanks for the help.  Still not sure what to do, but to help
clarify,  my stay will be in Vienna, Au.  The apartment owner says:
"the active connection cable box is in the studio some 30 feet away
from the first virtual working desk in the apartment in the living
area."  Not exactly sure what that means, but maybe someone out there
can shed some light.  Doesn't sound too promising to me.  Maybe I'll
have to find another wireless connection, or go the dial up route?
Regards, Tom Adams

How does he reach from the cable "box" to the "virtual working desk"? A long ethernet cable? Or does he have wireless already?
Sounds to me that you may get by with a wireless router connected to the cable modem (don't know about Austria, but here in Portugal these go for about 90 euros).

Luis Sequeira