To the best of my knowledge (and I have studied electronics
at Uni for 4 years) a powered hub simply boosts the signal out
to the connected devices, and can be used as an unpowered
hub with the PSU unplugged.

It should not affect the computer end of the hub.

Obviously there might be something wrong with the hub,
but still odd IMO.

I had a small brainwave and I'm going to try pressing the reset
button and see if this helps revive the iMacs.

Question (I know this is not the iMac list) is the external reset
switch (tiny resessed thing by the USB port) the same as the
Cuda switch ???

Larry