We have this problem sometimes, and we're fairly sure it's our ISP. Up/downloads get slower and slower, and occasionally we lose it altogether. We have one iMac, two PCs, one wireless PowerBook and one wireless PC laptop connected to the internet via DSL, with an Airport Extreme transmitting to the wireless ones. They are all affected simultaneously. Turning off the modem/router for a few seconds rectifies this. My son says it makes the router pick a new connection. Our ISP for some reason took a liking to us, and went the extra mile to try to fix our inconsistent service, and in the process they called SBC to work on the lines in our area, and then they upgraded some of the hardware in our area!! It sounds unbelievable, I know. My sons are gamers, and the older one is majoring in computer science plus upstarting a hosting business with a friend plus authoring websites and doing graphic design. The ISP troubleshooting guy sort of befriended us, calling to see if this or that worked yet. This "relationship" with the ISP happened around Christmas. Service is a little better, but my son, who monitors all this activity, reported to me even last night that our service is still inconsistent.

I personally have wondered if cable would be more consistent. This may not be your problem at all, but we had (and still do to some extent) constant trouble losing a connection all the time. Incidentally, that's why we changed ISP service about a year ago and "switched" from a Netgear wireless to an Apple Airport Extreme a few months ago, thinking these changes would "fix everything." (Like my dad used to say: "If so-and-so gets elected, that will fix everything!")

You might want to go to a coffee shop, your neighbor's house, or somewhere that provided free wireless internet. Hang out there for a while, and see if you lose connection within the same amount of time that you did at home. That might provide a clue as to whether the problem lies within your computer.

Claire

On Mar 1, 2005, at 3:15 AM, G-Books wrote:

From: "D. Goglin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: losing internet connection
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:52:22 -0500

My first problem is trying to state what's really going on so you can
understand.  I'm using an indigo ibook along with an airport express;
operating on mac os 10.3.8.  I initially had some trouble getting the
system to work with the airport express, but an apple tech walked me
through a set up and had me create a network with a name.  call it
"home" for example.  Everything was fine for a couple of months.  But
for the last couple of months I've been losing my internet connection
while chatting or whatever.  When I open internet connect and try
reconnecting I get this msg. that says, "there was an error joining
network "home".  Or, I'm out of range (not likely as I'm only about 10'
away).  The usual fix is restarting the computer.  Sometimes this works
right away, sometimes it doesn't.  Frustrating to say the least.  Any
suggestions?  Thank you for your time!