Response to Bruce:

Fruitmenu WILL do what Finderpop did. Think someone referred to it as 'Drilling' folders. At any rate, configure the 'fruitmenu' pane of the Fruitmenu System Preference panel to permit 'click and hold mouse to access contextual menu in finder' to whatever delay suits you. Then access the contextual menu pane of the Fruitmenu pref panel to include whatever you need in the contextual menu - mounted volume, selected folder are good choices. Remove 'dance for me, wash my clothes, fix dinner'. Add whatever you like.

I added "Moveitems X" because it allowed transport of files to the drilled folder, in the manner of Popup Folder, which was orphaned and stopped functioning after an OS 8.x update. At any rate both Popup Folder and Finder pop were very elegant and easy to use. Can see why fruitmenu doesn't appear to be a replacement, as it does do a lot more and requires some persistence to configure. I also have folders that pop out of the apple menu, for instance.

Response to Laurent:
(with great humbleness and respect to the listnanny)
Think that Finderpop's developer drifted away from the mac - or he wasn't a full time developer. At any rate Finderpop was distributed as a variation of shareware 'pintware', where satisfied users were encouraged to send the author beer/stout money. This might explain his lack of progress....

F.