Now it is my turn to have my Pismo go dead. It is an upgraded G3 to G4/550 with 1 Gb RAM and standard otherwise.

It does nothing--no chime no lights. I think it is getting power thru the yo-yo since it gets warm on the back side--pretty much as normal. The battery is minimal so i am sure it is exhausted by now and doesn't seem to recharge when left overnight. I have tried a few things as suggested by others--removed keyboard and all looks as normal, disconnected Pram battery connector to clear battery, (reset switch had not worked), and plugged in USB keyboard to see if that would bypass on-off switch. I have not disassembled to check set of components--they appear OK.

It was operating as normal and a few days ago, I transferred some files via the ethernet to my G4 and all was well. My grandson then used it on the internet and all seemed OK. Thru this operation, I had noticed more whirring noise from the computer that seemed unusual-- like a fan sound or maybe the hard drive. It had always been relatively quiet so it made me wonder but not too significant.

Then later when I went back--it had gone dark like asleep--but the noise was still there--it would not restart and the LCD was off--no lights at all. Since it was late and my granddaughter was ready to go to bed in the room. I disconnected the computer and moved it to different room-- the whirring noise would not stop. It was not real loud but would have been annoying. I assume whatever was causing the noise was now powered by the remaining battery charge. Next morning all was quiet and nothing I tried made any difference.

I am looking for suggestions--one possibility that was mentioned in a previous post was that a bad Pram battery could cause it to go dead. Is this true? I always thought that a bad battery would just show up in clock, etc. If it could just be the battery causing the entire problem, that might be the place to start. I do not have components for swapping so that option is not readily available.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John in Tucson