Subject: Reprise: Lombard 9.1 disaster
From: Kristina Rost

Well here I am again, same clicking noise, and can't find the file icon on by Lombard, running OS 9...REally it crashed alot...very uncomfortable machine...I want to refine it be a great machine.

So I need some help.
1. I want to recover some info on that drive.
2. Then I guess replace the drive...
3. while I have it open I would like to equip it with a new CD R DVD or can I get a CDR / DVDR? I want to put grampas slides/fotos onto DVD for the kids.
4. and maybe while I am wishing a gizmo to do WiFi...

Kristina
If you have access to another old Mac (with a SCSI port) there is a cable that will let you use your lombard as an external hard drive.
You plug the cable into the HDI-30 port on the back of the Lombard and into the SCSI port on the host Mac. Turn on the Lombard then the host and the Lombard hard drive should show up on the host desktop.
Hopefully the host has enough disk space to copy your files over.
This will help if the problem is that the OS is corrupted on your hard drive. If the data on the drive is corrupted you are out of luck.
If you want to give it a try I can loan you the cable.

Replacing the drive is not hard, I like the idea of having an external USB enclosure for the old drive. You can use the external drive to back up the Lombard.

Don't know about internal CD burners, I've had good luck with a Sony Spressa USB burner. Might be cheaper than an internal burner.

Wireless is pretty easy, there are a fair number of 802.11b cards that will work with the Apple Airport extensions built into OS 9.

Good Luck

--
Andrew in Ann Arbor