The National Enquirer reports at 8:22 AM -0500 3/11/05, Mike wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>
> >Anybody using a Windows98 notebook on a Apple ABS  (wireless) network?
> >
> >I'd like a recommendation on a dependable WiFi 803.11b PC card for
> >the Windows machine.
> >
> >Oh, I'm using the ABS dial-up modem if that matters,
> >

>I have a Gateway and Dell desktop hooked up with this Pismo and an iMac
>SE 400 and Airport base (Graphite)...Initially tried a Nextel card in
>the W systems but it just wouldn't work...Switched to the Belkin cards
>and they took off immediately and are working fine together with the
>Macs.  The Nextel cards just wouldn't see the ABS but the Belkin hooked
>on instantly.  I have Verizon DSL running to the ABS then out.
>HTH
>Mike

Thanks for your input, Mike. I took your information to heart and
bought a Belkin 802.11g card for my Dell Latitude. I really didn't
want a g-card, but that's all the local CompUSA had at the time and I
needed it right then to help my son trouble-shoot a problem on his
Windows network.

Anyway, I wonder if you would be kind enough to help me sort through
a few things with this Belkin/Dell setup? I know very little about
the Windows side of things. (Then why did I buy the Dell? Well, I
have one specific need that can't be done on a Mac, and that will
also require being able to download updates from the Internet. So I
want to share the Internet connection on my Airport wireless network.)

Unfortunately, I have a very limited network. I'm using the modem in
the ABS to connect to the Internet. It works fine for the Macs that I
have connected (albeit pretty slow). But, so far, I haven't been able
to get the Dell to get an wireless Internet connection on that
network. I wonder if that's due to my not having the Dell set up
properly.

I was able to connect to my son's wireless cable modem without any
difficulty, so that much is known to be working. The Dell utility
says it's connected to my Airport and the Dell icon at the bottom
right of the desktop turns green. The signal strength shows something
like 85%, so all is good there too. But I can't get MSIE to connect
to the Internet.

When I checked to Belkin settings, I saw that it was trying to use a
192.x.x.x IP address, whereas my network is using 10.0.1..x. So, with
a little help I went into winipcfg and manually changed the settings
there to 10.0.1.5 for the Dell, and changed the sub-net mask to the
right one. I didn't know what it was referring to when it listed
"gateway" (are they using that term for the router?) so I didn't put
any info there. And I didn't set any place to enter primary or
secondary DNS IPs. I can't help but wonder if one, or both of those
are what is preventing the Dell from using the Internet connection on
my network.

When I run winipcfg again, I don't get the same dialog windows to
fill-in or change, so I'm not sure how to enter the gateway or find a
place for the DNS IPs.

Any help you can provide would be **greatly** appreciated. I can't
ask these questions on a Mac list. The next best thing is a kindly
Mac user that's familiar with Windows. :-)

P.S. Just a reminder, I'm using Windows98 on the Dell.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.