Hello all; especially Steve and Bruce,

Thanks for all the info. I'm really surprised something SIMPLE hasn't been created yet to monitor the PC/Mac traffic on a private wired/wireless network. When I mentioned MacStumbler, I was referring to how it detects networks. I'd like a program laid out the same way as MacStumbler. . . except instead of detecting networks, is detects other computers logged onto your network. This can be done by simply "popping" up a DNS address or port ID that the computer is currently using, then if it's someone you know, you should be able to re-name that ID to whatever he/she calls their computer on a network. For example, my Pismo is called, "Zoltans-Computer" on a network. Wouldn't that be a nice and simple app.? I'm not interested in WHAT they are doing on my network, I just want to know WHO is on my network and when.

The programs Steve and Bruce mentioned are very powerful in their own right, but are not what I'm looking for. These programs made me think about my previous Amiga days. . .which I don't need to think about anymore; programming in Assembler back in the late 80's, early 90's was what I primarily did on my Amiga, creating games for the Atari Lynx. YIKES! It was a nightmare to say the least. Programming and hacking are the two things that caused my nervous breakdown several years ago. I simply don't have the patience anymore; which is why I switched to Mac back in 1991. I fell in love with the idea that the easier an OS is to use, the more powerful it is. I still have many programming friends from "the day" and they haven't had a brain fart like me, and they are pretty interested in my idea for this basic yet powerful little tool to be able to simply see who's on and when.

Now, this is for Bruce. . .using the GO/NETWORK command in finder is useful, but it will only show who's online when they are using a Mac and have file sharing turned on. If file sharing is turned off, then nothing shows up at all. I've noticed that a friend of mine showed up the other week using a Dell laptop, but he had Windows XP's version of file sharing turned on. . .something like network sharing or to that effect. Not sure if that was even supposed to happen, but it did.

For what it's worth, I thank all for responding to my thread. . .who knows, some day I may have my own little app. that will do this. Of course, it will be freeware! :)

Zoltan
THE BLUETOOTH (and WiFi) MASTER

i.e., Master at set up, install, understanding interference and custom configs. . .but NOT hacking, programming. . .anymore.