Sometimes the power management settings get a little messed up, these are to the best of my knowledge stored on a dedicated chip which looks after things like battery life and so forth.

One of the consequences of the this happening can be a machine locking in sleep mode.

In terms of removing the battery, flip the machine over so you are looking at the underside, I think you should see a moulded flap that you can move to pop the battery out if you need to do so.

ADi