I have what I think is the same model. Without considering anything else
(and although it has always provided reliabilty for the 17 mos I've had
it) I would not recommend this machine for doing alot of things.

Mine came w/192mb ram and 10gig hd. Not bad. However, for me, the screen
(being dual scan and NOT active matrix) is very rough on the eyes (well,
mine anyway -- bifocals..)  The PB 1400c I have has the active matrix
and, even though the screen is a touch smaller, is much more 'viewable'.
do you have another screen in mind to switch to?

The lack of of L2 cache means slower performance unless you go with an
upgrade card. Not to mention problems w/Panther...(maybe you don't need
Panther?)

I went w/246mb from OWC. And Jaguar.

I found instructions how to access the lower module. It takes the
nerves, and steady hands of a surgeon, but I managed.
Remover the 128 installed in the upper module. Accessed lower module.
Removed the 64mb there (still have it if you want it...).
Installed the 128mb previously in upper. Closed lower. Inserted 256
upper.

Be aware that this config. wlll confuse OS X if you install. Go w/128
only in lower bay. Install X. Reopen memory bay and add the 256.

Can tell you that Jag is very nice on this machine (even though I only
have cd drive; not combo/super.

also, if you want USB, you have to get the pcmcia/cardbus adapter.

On the plus side, the keyboard is excellent.

And like I said it's given very steady service (even after being dropped
from desk to hard floor just after arrival. (GULP!!)

My opinion (and still considering either iBook or Pismo.)

goood luck
--
  JP
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]