You can try the ScreenSpanning Doctor, found here:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

It will allow the enabling of "clamshell" mode, which allows you to
work from the ibook with the lid closedl.  It supposedly voids your
warranty, but I have not encountered anyone who's had problems.  It's
a firmware patch and can readily be patched back to the original
state.

Simon