On Apr 6, 2005, at 4:04 AM, Chris Zantides wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with doing this? What software
is available to handle this? I will need additional hardware for my ibook g4
to do this, what do I need?

I use Sound Studio <http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/>. It's very easy to use, and if you record an album side, it's easy to split the recording up (find the start and end points for the song, then "save as"). The resulting file is an aiff file, which will be quite large, but you can them reduce that to mp3 or AAC. If you use iTunes, import the aiff file, then select it and use the "convert to AAC" menu to reduce the file size.

Griffin's iMic is an easy way to get your stereo's line input to into your mac. Recording through USB is supposed to be superior than the built-in sound input on your Mac.

If you're recording from vinyl, you'll need to pass through the preamp part of your receiver or amplifier. The easiest way to do this is by connecting cables from the tape output of your receiver or amp.

This is a pretty inexpensive way to import your tapes and vinyl collection. It's time-consuming, because you have to do it at real time. No quick ripping an MP3 file here!

If you need any help, keep asking!

Cheers,
Keith Johnson