Hello again,

just wondered if anyone had any suggestions about good (and cheap) remote backup options for Macs.

I considered .Mac, of course. But at the moment the MB allocation seems rather paltry. SpyMac offers a lot of space for email but not so much for storage (I think it's again 250MB). One option is of course to email oneself with one's important files as attachments. But it would be cumbersome. The ideal arrangement would be a remote server to which a backup application automatically uploads the changed files for the day. There are several offerings out there and I was wondering whether anyone had had good experiences (in Mac-terms) with any of them. I suppose the ideal space would be 3-5 GB or thereabouts.

And now for the tip: although I love OS X, one thing that gets me is that when I single-click on a file/folder name in a finder window (I use the 'view as columns' option), if there is not enough space in the right column, the left columns gets moved off to the left and the file name disappears under the next column. It makes getting back to that column a bit of a pain, especially when it happens all the time. Well, I've discovered that if you command-click on the file name again (or any area of the half-hidden column), the left column comes back into full view again without any need to reach for the scroll bar. Neat, I thought.

Walter.