Ah, the old Trash Can trick... I work for a large
cable provider and am working with the webmaster
updating Macintosh knowledge base articles. I am
removing any instances that refer to "temporarily"
putting items in the trash. I used to do it since
that's what all the books say to do. To avoid this
type of thing happening (imagine the added factor of
doing this over the telephone!) I will no longer put
items in the trash.

In order for a folder to get created/recreated the
orignal simply has to be moved from the directory.
Creating a new iPhoto library would work just as well
if the original had been moved to the desktop. Heck
even just renaming it works most of the time (some
programs are smart enough to see the folder even after
renaming it). The trash is out, no pun....