The National Enquirer reports at 1:14 PM -0500 4/11/05, Tom Ethen wrote:

>I am getting DSL and need some advice on hooking up Airport as well as
>Ethernet to the system. I will be using Ethernet to hook up a 8600/300
>running 8.6 and a G4/Quicksilver running 10.2.8 using an Ethernet cable and
>then a dual Ethernet Airport Station for access with my laptops.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated before I bungle into it on my own.

Tom,
  'I'm currently doing what you want to do, with the exception that I
don't have a DSL modem in the mix (that's not a big deal. I have one
computer running 8.6 (mine is connected wirelessly, but it's just as
simple to connect by Ethernet cable). I have another one that uses OS
X 10.2.x hard-wired to a Snow (Dual -Ethernet) ABS. The only
difference when using a broadband connection is that you would run a
cable from the WAN port on your ABS to the DSL modem. Connect your
Ethernet unit(s) to the LAN port on the ABS.

Your ABS will act as a bridge to allow the wired and wireless parts
of your network to communicate to each other.

There will be a number of "little things" that you will need to sort
out when setting up your network. Some DSL modems are actually
routers as well. That will determine what distributes the DHCP. Some
DSL ISPs require PPPoE and their modems supply that. You won't want
both the DSL modem and the ABS using PPPoE.

If you want to share files rather than just share the broadband
Internet connection, you may run into some difficulties. I haven't
sorted out all those problems on my network. I can share files in one
direction, but not in both directions.

Because of the multi-OS  setup, you won't be able to use USB
print-sharing for all computers without adding a 3rd-party add-on.
I'm about to delve into that myself as well.

We haven't even begun to address IPs and subnet masking. :-) Just
remember that Apple likes to assign the ABS an IP address of
10.0.1.1, so unless you decide to change things, make sure your
computers end up with IP addresses of 10.o.1.2-10.0.1.253 and you are
using a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (you can have a variation of
that subnet mask, but in an effort to keep things simple the one I
mention will be the most common). I prefer to assign the network IPs
manually rather than have DHCP do it automatically, so that I always
know which unit has what IP address. But that's just my preference.

As you can see, there are a number of things to sort out. But there
are several knowledgeable people on this list that will be able to
help you wade through the process.

My advice is to first set everything up as simply as possible and get
everything working. Then start adding the more complex aspects, like
encryption, passwording, closed networking, MAC address screening etc.

HTH,

Bob

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.