Tom,

Dummies books are always a good place to start.
Simple, easy to read with plenty of info. Don't be
offended by the title.

<http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-076450214X.html>

Also, a good site to check out the skinny on the web
world is the world wide web consortium.

<http://www.w3.org/>

Most free GUI builders leave something to be desired.
I'd try the ones folks mentioned. They'd be good for
cutting your teeth on HTML. Try and get a GUI page
builder were you can view the pages source code so you
can get a feel for the code. Mozilla's composer will
let you do that.

www.mozilla.org