on 4/13/05 1:34 PM, Pace wrote:

>The adapters are pricy, so
>I think looking for a new printer is the way to go,

My Ethernet/Localtalk adapters cost me from $5 to $15 each, so I don't
consider that pricy. Ignore the poster who said serial-to-usb adapter;
that will not work with the 4/600 because the printer is not "serial", it
is localtalk. An ethernet/localtalk bridge is needed for localtalk
printers. If you don't have an extra ethernet port, look for the Farallon
EtherWave printer adapter since it includes a mini-hub.

Apple's postscript level 2 lasers are compatible with OS X, including the
4/600, Pro 600, Personal 320, Select 360, Personal NTR, and IIf. The IIg
and higher models already have ethernet and require at most an AAUI/RJ45
dongle if anything.

>I have a similiar situation of connecting my Laserwriter II NTX...

An ethernet/localtalk bridge will put this printer on an ethernet
network, but only for MacOS 9 and earlier (it is not postscript level 2).