Firstly I have to say thanks Bruce for the advice re getting high quality output from Appleworks. In the print dialogue box, click on copies and pages, third down is Output Options - here you can save as pdf or as ps.
Have just printed two large posters from pdfs - 2 sq metres each - and they are as sharp as a tack - no pixelation!

2. For the problem of editing pdfs, say filling out downloaded forms, I find Keynote does this very well - once you have adjusted the page size. Alignment tools are very handy for producing a very spiffy document. No loss of resolution, tho it does put a frame around the doc; will see if I can cure this next time.

3. I am doing a thesis on intellectual property. Around the middle of March, there was a story online about the high number of inventions that don't make it. It had a quote from one of the big wigs at Intel (may have been Gordon Moore) describing how one particular invention succeeded more by accident than anything else. He commented something to the effect that 'there must be many other inventions which don't make it'
Does anybody recall this story? Possibly Newsweek, NYT, etc. I have searched bookmarks, histories, online - can't find it.

I would be very grateful if anybody recalls this story and for any link etc.

        Thanks,
        Stuart.