Avail yourself of the best deal in the world for replacing SuperDrives (and lots of other stuff: HDs, LCDs, etc.). Go to PowerBookResQ (part of MacResQ):

http://www.powerbookresq.com/

and check out this, and many other, deals:

PowerBookResQ 8x Dual-Layer SuperDrive 24 Hour Nationwide Full Service Upgrade for All G4 PowerBooks and G4 iBooks $289.00

When my SuperDrive went Tango Uniform, I called everyone from Apple's friendly tech-support (hello, Bangalore!), to our local friendly AppleStore (replace a WHAT, dewd?), to my friendly local Apple VAR (is that made by Macintosh? I think I've got some info buried here somewhere...). Apple Tech HQ in Bangalore quoted me $800.00 WITHOUT the drive. The saggers at the AppleStore quoted me $800.00 WITH the drive, and the Apple VAR is still digging through a midden of Sinclair ZX-80s, 286s, and disco lights.

Somebody hipped me to PowerBookResQ (and NO, I'm not an employee, investor, creditor, or groupie -- well *maybe* a groupie -- for MacResQ), and I called them up. You can just do it online, but I had questions... MANY questions. They told me it was a good idea to back up any critical data, just in case, and I did. The very next day FedUp delivered an extremely sturdy pizza box with lots of customizable foam cutouts in it. I asked Mr. FedUp to tally a mo, popped my PBG4 in and off he went (did I mention that this is all pre-paid shipping, included in the price?). The next day I suffered through a whole day in the shop without iTunes or the net, but the next morning the pizza box came back with my PBG4, brand new Matsushita SuperDrive, and not a single piece of data missing. This was last September, so I wasn't able to take advantage of the dual-layer SD they're offering now, and it was actually a little more expensive -- $320 or thereabouts -- back then. Not a single hiccup since, and I (and YOU) get to keep the box, which is unbelievably robust.

Considering the price of an Apple-firmware Dual Layer SuperDrive, this is the no-brainer of the century.

Bart Brown