I know you can do a video connection and an s-video and assume that all require different cables. Which is a better connection to the tv??? Are there cheaper non-Apple cord equivalents available?

Pat :)

It depends on the inputs the tv has. Most have composite video with RCA plugs, some have S-video, and some others have VGA and even DVI inputs.

In a Powerbook with DVI output (most G4 Powerbooks since the 667MHz model, I think), I'd rank them as
1. DVI
2. VGA
3. S-video
4. Composite

(though not an absolute scale; I suppose 2. and 3. may be reversed, depending on tv models).
All these options are available from the Powerbook side; of course, the tv could limit your choices.

In this case, cables are not a major concern, since they are quite standard.
In an earlier Powerbook, you'd rule out DVI, but the rest is about the same.

In an iBook, the picture is somewhat more complicated.

In some models there is no S-video out port per se; some models do allow an adapter to be attached to the mini-vga port, giving the options of vga, composite and, in some, s-video.

On older (white) iBooks (until about the end of 2002) there is a mini-vga (and included adapter) and a composite port, but this port carries both video and audio signals and has a connector similar to the usual stereo mini-plug (with 3 contacts instead of 2). The plug is similar to the ones used, e.g., in some camcorders, but the order of the contacts is different (so that the same port could be used for audio only, with a regular stereo mini-plug, and for audio/video).

Pretty confusing, I know...

Luis Sequeira