On Apr 21, 2005, at 4:52 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've been struggling trying to "clone" my desktop OS9 system (& apps/data) on my PB to make it my main computer. I've tried so many things I don't even remember them all. Some 'gotchas' I do remember are that some control panels get moved because they're not compatible with Classic mode and there seems to be a Classic folder as well as an OS9 folder (System Ÿ?).

Desktop: 7500, xlr8 G3, 333MHz OS9.2.2 (under xpostfacto) and the PB is a Titanium G4 1GHz 15" OS9.2.2. In case it matters my OSX is 10.3 but my first need is to replicate the functionality of the desktop as I migrate/learn/upgrade to OSX.

Hi Al:

There should be only one OS 9 folder on your PB unless you have more than one partition, in which case, technically you can have more, but really, only ONE OS 9 system folder is recommended, so you can remove the one already installed. I'll assume you have the original install disks for your PB so you can restore it if needed.

Classic needs at least OS 9.1, with 9.2.2 recommended - I don't think Panther has changed this requirement - anyone please pipe in on this...

I have had success just copying the OS 9 folder over (there is no concern about invisible files in OS 9). On startup of Classic OS X will install what ever files it needs to run Classic. The next time you start up Classic, hold the space key down to bring up Extension Manager. Edit your start up set there.

You can also go to System Preferences->Classic->Advanced->Start Up and Other Options and start up Extension Manager from there. You can experiment with what start up set works best for you under Classic. Remember to save whatever original set up you had so you can refer back to it, during testing.

Turtle-Bear