On Apr 27, 2005, at 8:33 AM, K wrote:

Interesting!!!  Follow the link....no signup needed

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/26/ AR2005042601006.html

Man that article went over the line...this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the trade secret cases whatsoever, nor if it's "repression" is it very effective.

Apple stores are computer stores...I'd wager that within a quarter mile of nearly every Apple store in existence is a Barnes and Noble, Borders or other bookstore. In most cases, I'll bet there's one within a few hundred feet in the same mall.

If Apple didn't pursue the trade secrets cases, then they could easily be hit with absolutely justified stockholder lawsuits; lawsuits that Apple wold lose hands down. That's something that's lost in all the hoopla over the Think Secret case, is that Apple really had NO CHOICE, legally, in the matter.

If they didn't do something about it, then the corporate officers are NOT exercising due diligence, and that can really <bleep> up your day with shareholders, board members and possibly even the SEC.

And guess what...it's *APPLE'S* stores...they have every right to do this.

Severing ties with John Wiley & Sons is a little drastic, but considering the damage to Apple that a biography that implies something underhanded about the CEO running the company could do, it's well within their rights to do this. (Puleeze "iCON"??? What word will *everyone* see right off the bat...it ain't gonna have anything to do with a 32 x 32 pixel grid, I'll tell you that!)

This isn't (or at least it ALL isn't) just about Job's ego...Apple is at a tipping point again as a company. They're poised to make inroads again into the dominant market forces in the computing industry, bad news, real or imagined could affect that.

I mean, look at what Doonesbury did to the Newton. The technical and pricing problems lay at Apple's feet, but weeks and weeks of Doonesbury jokes essentially torpedoed the Newton from the very beginning. People still see a Newton and the first thing out of their mouths is often "Oh, like in Doonesbury! That thing never worked, did it?"

(note, Apple could OWN the PDA market if they'd countered Palm with a smaller, cheaper Newton. The OS on the Newt is *still* groundbreaking. Nothing has ever been made to approach it in usability, flexibility and sheer seamless elegance.)

If you published a hit piece on Sam Walton, do not expect Wal-Mart to carry your book. If you're a publisher (or manufacturer) and you don't shout "How High Master?" when Wal-Mart says jump, your products don't get into Wal-marts anymore. For many manufacturers that is the kiss of death.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona