Mac OS X Panther runs pretty well on my Wallstreet, with the help of XPostFacto.
Only two tweaks, well documented in the web, that I had to apply:
1) remove a file with a name like "ATIRageProGA.plugin" (don't have my Wallstreet at hand now to confirm) solved some color problems - the display had a purple cast and dragging windows used to leave shadows behind; after removing (or, for precaution, moving it somewhere else) this file, all went well. It is said that an even better solution would be to replace it with the one present in 10.2.8, but I did not have that.

2) download a kernel extension (iirc) was required to support the ejection of cardbus cards. Someone had this already available.

After 1) and 2), my Wallstreet has been rock solid as a secondary mac (my TiBook is my workhorse now). I applied several updates after that, all coming through fine via Software Update (no need to run XPostFacto for those).

That said, I imagine *any* virtual pc would be dog slow on this machine...

Luis Sequeira

Fellow PowerBook-philes,

I am in the process of building a cheap laptop for my GF so that she
will have a machine while she studies abroad in Rome, Italy this summer.

Consequently I am putting together a PowerBook Wallstreet from various
parts and machines I've found for cheap.  This will either be a 300mhz
G3 or 466mhz G3 with 512 MB RAM and a 40 gb drive.

Wanting to endear my GF to Macintoshes I was looking to put OS X on the
machine.  The problem -- I am not sure which OS X should go.

As I understand it, OS X.2.8 is supported without the requirement of any
other programs for loading it (such as XPostFacto) on the Wallstreet.

However, as I also understand it, Mac OS X.3 had a significant spead
increase over X.2 because of code optimization.  Further, I understand
X.3 is the best Mac OS X for laptops.

The problem is that OS X.3 is not supported natively on the Wallstreet
and I would need XPostFacto to get it to work.

Further, XPostFacto's website lists problems with the video when
installing OS X.3 on a Wallstreet.

Does anyone have any experience on this matter?

In other words:  Which Mac OS X version is the fastest/most stable on
the PowerBook Wallstreet?

Lastly, my girlfriend is a Classics Major and uses a program written for
DOS which helps her study (a sort-of Dictionary like program).

I would like her to be able to access this program while abroad and
therefore was looking to get one of the Virtual PC versions.

As I would like to be running Mac OS X, and as this is only a DOS
program, I am wondering if it would be best to get the lowest Virtual PC
version I can find (4, 5 or 6?) which will run on OS X?

I have unused copies of Windows 98 and of Dos 5 & 6, but which Virtual
PC would have a decent ease of use and decent speed for a Mac OS X
computer like the Wallstreet?

Would Virtual PC 4 or 5 work?  What about Virtual PC 6?

Any comments or ideas on this?

Sincerely,
Pacer