The National Enquirer reports at 3:11 PM -0500 4/27/05, Scott Birdwell wrote:

>Ed,
>    Be aware that our magnanimous sponsor, Low End Mac, warns,
>"According to the Road Warrior and Other World Computing, the drive
>controller in G3 PowerBooks is incompatible with ATA-6 hard drives.
>When replacing the internal hard drive, you should be sure to obtain an
>ATA-5 complaint drive, which supports transfer speeds of up to 100
>MB/sec."  As for a reference manual, your best bet is to go to:
>http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/?p=Wallstreet*00 and check out the Fix It
>Guide.  I've used it a lot.  Even better it's free!  As to the level of
>difficulty, it is relatively easy IMHO.  Hope this helps.

I had decided to stop replying to posts on this list. The last 2 or 3
times I've posted questions they didn't merit anybody's time or
effort. AFAIC help is a two-way street. But I can't let this pass.

The information above is absolutely incorrect (not the source, but
the information).  Below is information that I accumulated some time
ago when researching the subject.

And I can contradict it from personal experience. I just bought 2
ATA-6 drives for one of my Wallstreets. One drive I have partitioned
and connected externally. The second one I  just installed internally
and loaded with OS 9 & X with no problems.

For reference, it is common to refer to IDE drives as:
ATA/66 (ATA-5)
ATA/100 (ATA-6)
ATA/133
SATA

It's important to realize that despite all of the various names and
flavors,for the most part IDE/ATA is IDE/ATA. Especially since the
late 1990s, virtually all IDE/ATA drives and controllers will work
together with a minimum of fuss. The folks who create the IDE/ATA
standards always ensure backwards compatibility. This means that a
drive corresponding to a newer standard will still work on an IDE
channel in an older PC. Similarly, older drives will work on newer
systems, in most cases. When older and newer hardware are mixed, the
newer hardware will just run at whatever the maximum speed is of the
older hardware.

For example, suppose you want to use an older hard disk that does not
support Ultra DMA, on a newer PC with Ultra DMA support. This will
work fine, but the drive won't run at Ultra DMA speed. As a second
example, suppose you want to install a new hard drive that runs Ultra
DMA/100 on an older PC with a hard disk controller only supporting
Ultra DMA/33. This will also work, but the drive's throughput will be
limited to 33 MB/s. IDE hard drives are designed to be both backwards
and forwards compatible.

When you talk about a Wallstreet, you are referring to a 2.5-inch
hard drive, not the 3.5-inch drives commonly found in desktop
computers. With the exception of proprietary connectors from folks
like Compaq, these are all interchangeable also. ATA-5 and ATA-6 use
the same connector. In some cases a pin may be missing or the
connectors might be color coded. It's no big deal.
<http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Cable.htm>

See this really good comprehensive tutorial:
<http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/index.htm>
<http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/unstd.htm>

FWIW every drive that I've bought for a PB over the past 4 years or
so has been an IBM (now Hitachi) Travelstar. Every manufacturer will
have bad drives from time to time. I like the Hitachi's 3-year
warranty. Someone else (Maxtor?) has a 5-year warranty, but I'm
partial to IBM/Hitachi.

ZipZoomFly (formerly Googlegear) has been my vendor of choice for
great prices and free 2nd-day delivery.

YMMV,

Bob
--
If replying privately, please include my name in the To: address, so
that my filters won't send your reply to the trash.