Hi Sionach, if you have a external card reader, try it with the SD card that the camera holds, Im sure that it will be recognized.

On May 1, 2005, at 1:58 AM, Sionnach Aisling wrote:

Hello.

I am new to the list.  I've been using Macs for a long
time, althoughnot so much in recent years ;-)  I'm
much better on pre-OS X problems.  I was on the
Powerbooks list for awhile and still maintain and
frequently use my PB3400 as well as a Sonnet upgraded
7300 and a few other Macs I have sitting around.

This post, however, is about my wife's iBook G4 - a
bit more on topic ;-)

Anyway, I was hoping maybe someone could help me out
with a small problem.

Like I said, my wife has a iBook G4 running OS 10.3.9.
 She is also running iPhoto 2.0.1 and has been using a
Pentax Optio S4 digital camera for over a year with
absolutely no trouble. (Although, I realized tonight
that Pentax cameras are not listed on Apples
"supported" list.)

Tonight, after taking a few photos, she went to import
them into iPhoto.  She turned off her camera, plugged
in the USB cable, opened iPhoto and then turned the
Camera back on - just as she's done hundreds of times
in the past.  This time, however, it didn't work.  It
basically doesn't see that any camera is connected.
Also, where usually she would get an "untitled" disk
on her desktop when the camera mounted, she gets
nothing... it doesn't know the camera exists.

I had her try both USB ports and got the same result.
I had her try a freshly formatted SD card in teh
camera but it made no difference.  The camera will
beep when it is plugged/unplugged from teh USB as if
it's detecting a power source.  I had her try
attaching her Palm cradle to one of the ports and she
successfully did a hotsynch, so i know the ports are
working.

Her best friend uses an iBook G3 running 10.3.9 with
iPhoto 2.0.1 nad she happened to be there.  We
connected the camera to her machine and it instantly
imported the photos - no problem at all.  So I am
certain it is not her camera nor her USB cable.

I have a USB drive that utilizes SD cards for it's
data source.  I put her SD card from her camera in it
and plugged it into her iBook.  Nothing.  It wouldn't
mount it or recognize it.  It's power light did
illuminate when it was connected, however.  I took the
same drive with the same card and plugged it into her
friends iBook G3 and instantly, iPhoto opened and it
started transferring files...

Anyother thoughts on things I can try to get this
working?  It's very frustrating.

On a side note, I noticed that iPhoto shows it's
latest version to be 5.0.2 and there are update links
on the website for both 4.0.3 and 5.0.2.  She has
never been given an option of updating her iPhoto in
any of her routine updates.  She tried downloading
these updates tonight to see if it would help
(although i doubt it, since it won't even mount the
device to the desktop), but when running the iPhoto
4.0.3 update she gets a message stating it cannot be
installed because neither iPhoto 4 nor iPhoto 4.0.1
can be found. (Which is true since she is running
2.0.1)  Should she update her iPhoto version?  And how
can she go about updating from 2.0.1??

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer on this. Again, I'm not real OS X savy, but hope to pickup a lot more :-) My background is extensive in hardware, however, and I do have quite a bit of mac experience both with notebooks and desktops, so I look forward to being able to contribute where I can as well.

Thanks for reading,
Sionnach

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |

Hector I. Macedo "Lord of the Flies"
Dallas, TX 75248

"Piscaro Itaque dicet mendacium"

Then round his hook the chosen fur he winds, And on the back a speckled feather binds; So just the colours shine through ev'ry part, That nature seems to live again in art. John Gay Rural Sports 1720