Seth Austen wrote:

On May 8, 2005, at 9:44 AM, kaldav wrote:

Hello, My Pismo modem is working in OS9, installed on a separate
partition. However, in OSX 10.3.8, when I try to dial into the ISP I
get the message that the modem cannot detect a dial tone. I have
selected the Internal Modem 56k v 90. Is there some other setting to
change? Thanks.

I'm running 10.3.4 on my pismo, and often have to try to dial in 2 or 3
 times for it to work. Seems to be a bug w/ OSX and older laptops.

Seth forgot to mention that we are not using the v.90 setting. Here in rural dialup land using Earthlink, if we want to stay on for more than a minute at a time, we have to use the v.34 setting, so all our computers are set to that.

However, I should note that even with the v.90 setting we don't get a message that there is no dial tone, so that is probably something else. Have you checked all the connections? What happens if you set the modem configuration to ignore the dial tone?

Beverly
Low End Mac column: http://www.lowendmac.com/woods/index.html