------------------------------
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 18:37:42 -0500
From: Frank Cornew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Doesn't anyone wait anymore?!

[snipped[

My newer tech 6600 mAH battery doesn't seem to calibrate.
Time remaining for full discharge/charge never gets calculated in
menu bar display - yet.
Pecentage, yes. Am cycling, have reset PMU, nvram, etc.
Think there is a hard core calibration tactic via terminal that I may yet try.
---------------------------------------

Some info I've collected re batteries ...
---------------------------------------

Battery Life

Thanks to MacInTouch, I've followed battery care pretty closely.
Apple states that you need to exercise the battery monthly (full
discharge with immediate recharge), and from [this report] and,
BatteryUniversity: How to prolong lithium-based batteries
<http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm> describe battery
care for all Lithium uses. Points I got from all of them:

        1. Exercise the battery monthly. They stagnate if not used
regularly. Battery University states the exercise is needed after
every 30 charges (cycles). Apple is likely trying to simplify so I go
with the 30 (partial) cycles as I don't use it as frequently.

        2. If not to be used in the near future, discharge it to 40 - 66%
and store in refrigerator (NOT FREEZER; keep above 0°C/32°F). I keep
my extra battery there and warm it then charge it for flights.

        3. Avoid leaving it plugged into the charger for prolonged
periods such as sitting at a desk for weeks. Though I believe it's
the least problematic, LiOn batteries don't like being at a fully
charged state for long periods either. It's best to use them or they
will crystallize and lose life.

As I use my desktop the most, my two batteries have lasted 3 years
and still have lots of life. The first still makes it through a movie
on my iBook G3/2001 with some juice to spare. The extra battery seems
like it's new.
--------------------------

I do believe Mr. G....'s "stay charged or die" mantra has some
virtue, but keeping a battery permanently installed/charging on the
AC power adapter for very extensive periods is quite contrary to
advice stated in one manufacturer's (www.batterytech.com) FAQ:

        Always fully charge your battery when not in use or when being
stored for extended periods of time. Check on this battery every 3-4
weeks. If total self-discharge occurs, the notebook may not recognize
the battery.

        To increase the life of the battery, it is best to remove it from
the computer, if the computer will be plugged in for long periods of
time. If the battery remains in the computer, it will constantly be
charging which reduces its life cycle. It may also overheat the
battery, which will cause the battery cells to slowly deteriorate
over time.
--------------------------

XBattery
<http://www.kezer.net/xbattery.html>
XBattery is a battery monitoring utility for Mac OS X. It provides a
user-customizable dock icon that shows your current battery level and
charging status. It also provides a variety of graphs detailing
battery information, and a user-customizable display

XBattery is currently available as a pre-release download. I normally
do not post utilities until they are further along, but because OS X
is so new, I want to get as much ffeedback as I can about battery
monitoring performance under OS X.

[Cost - $15 - Last UPDATE - November, 2003]
--------------------------

iBatt
<http://raynersoftware.com/ibatt/>
What is iBatt?
iBatt is a battery monitor for PowerBooks. It goes far beyond the
basic charge level information reported by the system  and tells you
your battery's capacity, voltage, and overall health report. In
addition, it will provide a running graph showing trends in your
battery's performance.

What useful information does it provide?
iBatt will almost certainly tell you things about your PowerBook's
battery that you never knew. All batteries degrade over time, and OS
X has no built-in way of showing you just how worn out your battery
is. But your PowerBook knows, and iBatt knows how to get that
information out. Have you ever wondered if your PowerBook falls short
of others in terms of battery performance? iBatt is not just a
standalone application, but an Internet-based statistical tool. It
reports how your battery measures up against other PowerBooks of your
model, and gives you the option to submit your own battery statistics
to iBatt's Internet database.

How much does it cost?
iBatt costs $15. You can download it free for evaluation purposes.
The demo version will quit after 10 minutes of use, and it will not
allow you to view battery statistics on any PowerBook model other
than your own.
[Cost - $15 - Last UPDATE - May, 2004]