On May 14, 2005, at 10:07 PM, Harry Corsover wrote:

Are you saying that there is no solution other than an Archive & Install?

Regardless of what caused the problem, it makes no sense to me that deleting the application and Preferences, followed by a reinstall would do the trick. However, I'm not the only one reporting that this doesn't fix it.

On friday, I attended a discussion between our Apple engineering contact for the campus (an actual engineer, not a marketroid) and the Mac sysadmins group at the UA and he recommends an Archive and Re-install over an Upgrade. "If your system is in stock or otherwise perfect shape, Upgrade works fine, but none of you guys have stock systems, do you?"

Does OS X 10.4 install any WMV components? I know that even with an A&R, a system install takes out Stuffit if you've upgraded, because it replaces the Stuffit Engine.cfm file with an older version.

Which is why I'm downloading Stuffit Standard *again* sigh. 7.3 megs on a dialup takes a while.

The engineer also aid that every Mac sysadmin's system should have at leats two users one for daily work and one for test purposes.

If we're really paranoid, one non-admin user for daily work, one admin user for system related stuff and one test user. Fast User Switching makes it really simple to use the appropriate stuff, you don't have to logout and back in.

Now, note, this advice is aimed at system administrators, who will be mucking with the guts on a regular basis.

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson