On Tue, 24 May 2005, Francesco sciacca wrote:

> > MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface connected to the second USB port.
> > MOTU 896 Firewire interface connected to the Ti and a 120GB OWC Firewire
> > drive connected to the 896.
>
> Nick,
>
> thanks for sharing that. I have a setup with some similarities running on a
> TiBook 1 GHz and wasn't sure whether the FW drive would work properly if
> connected  to the 896, I had conflicting info on this (I actually have a 828
> MK2 but I assume it will be the same).

When I got the set-up, I went to MOTUs site and one of the tech articles said
to hang your FW HD off of the 896.  I do it that way cause that's what MOTU
said.  Whether it works the other way or not, I have not tried.  I keep my
cables short.  3 ft. for the 896 to Ti, and 1.5 [I think] for the 896 to
FWHD.  The other thing is my FWHD is not bus powered.  It has it's own power
cord.  No power flow issues that way.

> You say the 896 is upset if hot-unplugged. I haven't noticed problems with
> the 828. What does happen exactly?

Well it's more the driver.  If I leave the 896 on and unplug it , and
then plug it back in, the driver would not always reload automatically.
I would have to turn it off and then back on and the driver would load.
Nothing major.  This is what used to happen.  I stopped doing a while ago
though, so I'm not sure if it does it anymore.  I just turn it off and then
unplug it.

> Apart from that, is the system stable? Or do you experience occasional
> problems?

It's very stable.  No problems.  I get a message saying something like "The
FWHD was not unmounted cleanly" or something like that when I cut the 896
power first.  Happens occasionally when I'm in a hurry.  There is a pause in
the audio when I turn on the FWHD while playing tunes through the 896.
Probably a protocol issue.

The weirdest thing is when using the modem.  When I disconnect, sound stops
flowing through the 896 for a brief moment.  Must be an OS issue.  Never
crashed though.

> My desktop setup is: FW to the MOTU 828 MK2 audio interface, USB to
> unpowered cheap hub to which I connect the Apple Pro Mouse, Logic Pro 7
> dongle, Emagic EMT8 USB MIDI interface, Beringher BC2000 Control Faders.
> Planning to add a 20" Cinema display soon and the FW drive. Stable as a
> rock, until I upgraded RAM, that is. Had to go back to the original stick...
> But will need to upgrade nevertheless from 512 Mb.

I got my RAM from OWC.  Never had a problem.  When I read about the rare
occurance of someone getting a bad DIMM [they are not perfect]  from OWC,
they get it replaced fast.

> I print via airport to a USB printer hooked to the Lombard (hard-Ethernet to
> WL router -> cable modem) and I also run mini-jack audio out to the mixing
> desk for casual listening without having to fire up the 828. So only 4
> cables to the 'book, not too bad!

That's pretty cool.  I wish had wireless.

Enjoy the toys,
--
Nick

http://www.izap.com/~pinnacle

therhythmex: AIM, Jabber, and Yahoo Messenger ID

"So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?" Galations 4:16 [NASB]