Hi again, Listers!

Thank you all for your opinions, tips, etc.
One thing that I found is that I still do not learn the names of the versions, so I'm always wondering if Panther is X.3 or X.2. :-)

James Sanderson wrote: " if you really like Panther more
than Jaguar.  This comp had issues with Jaguar; it ran more slowly,
wouldn't wake from sleep, and it had some serious video issues
(screen would turn blank, for example, or it would 'melt').  The
upgrade to Panther fixed all those issues, but ran slowly until I
upgraded the processor, not that it's blazing fast now, mind, but it
runs quite well for my needs."

I installed OS X when it came out, but didn't run well on my Wallstreet, then I installed OS X.2 on it and it was passable. I sold that PB, bought a Pismo and installed OS X.3 on it. What a difference! This was usable! But, I sold my Pismo, too. I was going to buy one of the 600 MHz iBooks, but I spent the $$$ on more urgent things. Now I bought the WS II, and I'm wondering about the OS. What I found out, is that what is fast for some is slow for others. I don't mind waiting 2 or 3 seconds for a web page to appear. My son considers that unacceptably slow. I find OS X.3.9 runs well on a 400 MHz iMac, but my son finds it slow. It's all relative.

Nick wrote: "I would stick with 9 on that machine. My buddy has a 500Mhz Pismo and it
runs X ok.  A bit pokey, but it goes. "

That is what I was thinking about. You consider OS X on a 500 MHz Pismo "a bit pokey". I consider OS X.3 on a Pismo 400 MHz and on an iMac 400 MHz very good.

And Mad Dog wrote: "Its going to be slow, but what do you expect. I am quite surprised
how well my G3/300 WS2 runs 10.3.9.  Using XPF you might have to
fiddle a bit if you get the Purple Panther Problem, but its solvable."

I don't remember reading about the PPP. What is it?

Once again, thank you all for your input. I'm leaning to stay with OS 9.2.2, until I get at least a 300 MHz CPU upgrade.
Best regards.
macnifico (Hugo Diaz)