On May 26, 2005, at 8:15 PM, Stanton Mitrany wrote:

Please suggest an OS X 10.3.8 compatible backup application that's free or inexpensive shareware which I can use to copy (burn) a large (5 GB) folder
to multiple 700MB CD-R's in the internal combo drive in an iBook 500.

I need to reformat the Hard Drive, which currently has only one partition,
and is only set up with OS 10.3.8, into two partitions, so that I can
install both OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.3.8 separately. I don't wish to manually break up this folder to archive it. I'm hoping your suggestion can help me to reinstall it onto the iBook once I've reformatted and installed OS 9 & OS
X.

My copy of Retrospect Express v.4.3 won't work in OS X. I'm looking for
something which, like Retrospect, can produce a series of linked CD's to
archive something larger than 700 MB.

I'm looking to be able to download the application you suggest, and get to
work. What do you suggest?

I don't have a free backup ap, but there is an ap called iPartition which allows you to repartition drives without erasing/reformatting them It was a lifesaver for me (timewise) and I've used it about 8 times without any problems. It's not too cheap either, I think I paid $45 for it with the pound/dollar conversion. Yes, you can download it, but it doesn't work unless you pay.

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php