.. For black and white writing, they sure do the trick and
then some... Would be neat with an LCD like that...

Hear, hear! This whole subject niggles at me constantly... because I love
to see a whole page up on the screen

With the recent ATI video cards, at least the Radeon 9700 in my PowerBook,
you can rotate the picture on an external LCD...
So, suppose you have a widescreen one, and suppose you could physically rotate the display 90°, then you can go in the Display preference pane and
instruct the system to rotate the picture...

I use an HP 17" LCD model #1730 (with my Pismo) and this monitor can rotate
to portrait display.  "Pivot enabled" it says right on the front label.
'Course I've never done, but the option does exist.

So now we need to convince Apple to provide a Powerbook with a semi-detachable 17" screen that can swing up and around to give us both widescreen (for movies, etc) and portrait (for the writers in the crowd).... even a 15" might work and set it to no colour (can one do this - now I have to go look.)

Rick

PS: Aase - thanks for the trip down memory lane -- I too first used this screen in the early 90s for college work ---- and no, it's not for sale! Writing is one of primary jobs in the academic world I breathe and I've often wondered if those old monochrome portrait screens helps the writing process (I say this staring at a major paper for a journal sitting, sitting, sitting, waiting for me). Chuckle, always nice to have a good excuse -- I'll tell the editor "It's my colour LCD powerbook screen, really, I need to be using a monochrome portrait monitor (oops, I have one - oh, I'm saved, I can't hook it up to my TiBook)."