You'll probably get this advice in buckets, but, here goes:
Dump AOL.
Our nonprofit has had TERRIFIC results and support from one of our list
member's ISP; JMUG CONNECT. Sam is always helpful and knows his stuff.
$15.00 a month for national dialup. >http://www.jmug-connect.net/<. Sam
rocks!
We had a similar issue with a recipient's 'book who put AOL on it. Ended up
simpler to dump AOL and go with a different provider.
raino

Yeah.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm really not interested in hearing this argument. I've got a technical problem with a hardware/software combo, and I'm not interested in anybody's personal take on the software/service provider choice that my family has made.

That being said, I think that except for the additional overhead that AOL injects into your bandwidth, AOL is really a very nice service. It might be overpriced, but it does offer a lot of tools for internet neophytes that no other service provides. AOL is a SERVICE, not a program.

If all you want is a PPP connection, there are plenty of alternatives (even some that are free or close to free). If you want an Internet Service Provider that does more than give you PPP, AOL is great.

Please excuse my diatribe, and thank you for taking the time to respond.

Peace,
Drew

--

Author of ClassicStumbler