On Mon, 30 May 2005, thomas sappl wrote:

> Hello evrybody,
> Usually I'm using my pismo within a WiFi-DSL environment, so I haven't
> really used the internal modem for ages. But when I went on holiday up in
> the mountains, I had to use dial-in (what a difference! Actually waiting for
> webpages *g*), but I noticed, the connection was really slow.... Even as a
> dial-in....
>
> I'm using Panther, and the modems sometimes gets recognized as a 33.6kbit
> modem, sometimes as a v.90-56k (I really can't say when which version is
> used)... This really seems a little bit strange to me (why shouldn't Apple's
> OS recognize Apple's very own modem?)...
>
> And then, isn't there any way of getting a Firmware-update for the
> v.90-modem to as v.92? I hope this will "boost" the performance the next
> time I'm up in the mountains?
>
> Any help needed.....

Usually modems are not firmware upgradeable.  The chipsets are the way they
are.  You can get any where from 2.4kbit to 48kbit connection on a v.90 or
v.92 modem.  It's all in the lines and modem pools on the other end.  You can
change between the v.xx protocols and try to get a better connection, but
that's about it.

--
Nick

http://www.izap.com/~pinnacle

therhythmex: AIM, Jabber, and Yahoo Messenger ID

"So have I become your enemy by telling you the truth?" Galations 4:16 [NASB]