Mike,

As routine maintenance? I am just curious, what needs maintenance in OS X?

I used some of those "maintenance" programs with Jaguar a couple years ago and found they did more harm than good. I did not have any problem in the first place, I just used the programs because I fell for the sales pitch and didn't know better. Anyway, they messed things up more than they fixed anything. So I never used them again. I've never had any problems in OS X. All I've heard and read about OS X is that those "maintenance" programs are unnecessary and from my experience that is true.

So my suggestion is don't even use those programs. OS X is pretty good at taking care of itself.

Scott

As routine maintenance for my Pismo POwerbook (Mac OS X 10.3.8) I ran
Applejack and then Diskwarrior 3.0.2.

After that I found that when I booted up, Safari crashed and Mail
crashed.

In each case, there was an error report which said:

Link(dyld) error: ............Safari truncated or malformed library,
or the same for Mail.

Running cocktail, Disk Utility and Diskwarrior again  did not repair
this.   In the end I gave up, reformatted the hard disk, and
reinstalled the system from a backup.   But now I am unsure whether it
is safe to use Applejack or Diskwarrior again.   They have never caused
me trouble before.

Has anyone found any similar sort of problem with either of them?

Mike