Bruce Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>DanK, I accidentally deleted your e-mail, but what I'm thinking of
>doing is trying to use it as a standalone display.
>
>It's a UA owned system, so I can't just sell it for parts, but if I
>could get it to work with a DVI output, I'd be upgrading my existing
>15" conventional LCD display with something really cool...
Nice idea, but from what I know not practical. Every LCD variant requires
a specific driver set (controller) - hardware _and_ firmware. Even
closely similar LCD panels may need a separate firmware, and an oddball
panel like that of the TiBook likely would require custom programming.

So you'd need an appropriate LVDS hardware driver plus the programming to
get the HW to drive the TiBook LCD. Neither is cheap (so far anyway.)

google -> lvds lcd controller

I'll gladly be proved wrong, but having participated in a considerable
amount of discussion on this very topic, I've yet to see a reasonable and
cheap solution.

While not as cool, perhaps you can just hold the panel for the next
broken-display TiBook that crosses your desk . . .

dan k

I previously wrote:
>FYI, TiBooks use an LVDS interface to drive the LCD, and the interface
>pinout itself will be the same for all TiBooks, and probably for the 15"
>AlBooks as well (which use the same LCD series.) If it helps, there are
>also PC laptops which use the same LCD panels - VPR Matrix 110 series
>laptops: 220A5, 200A5, 185A5 (though I'm not certain of the model
>numbers); and the Gateway M500.
>
>I have more relevant infos on my TiBook display page:
><http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/tibook_display.html>

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700
hotline://dankephoto.dhs.org:9500