On Jun 12, 2005, at 9:33 AM, Zoltan Batiz wrote:

Ok, I've watched the keynote address, read all the articles. I still think Jobs is full of it. I can't believe that he's decided to switch to Intel. This has me really nervous. Intel processors, despite the crappy OS that Microsnot tries to make for it, are very unstable in the virus sense. I am concerned that "when" Intel based Macs start rolling out in '06 they are gonna be sitting ducks just waiting for the Intel-versed hacker to start shooting. I AM NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE EXCITED BY THIS. THIS IS THE MOST DISTURBING THING I'VE HEARD SINCE THE FALL OF AMIGA. I feel like I'm being let down in the computer industry once again. This move will eventually make all PowerPC Macs obsolete, just like the 68000 Mac's. . .so much for worrying about the G3's life; heck now the G5 is going to be phased out. I am so tired of everyone trying to get somewhere in such a rush. WHO CARES IF POWERPC IS SLOWER THAN CRAPTEL!! I don't! And millions of other Mac users don't! Most PeeCee users are too stupid for the Mac community ANYWAY. I need to stop now. . .I'm so pissed I can barely type. This is what happens when I go up to Arrowhead for a few months on vacation. . .and come back to this. I have one phrase for Jobs: "Greedy Bastard".

Zoltan - the CPU has nothing to do with viruses. It is software and software only. Wintel are open to viruses, adware, and malware due to the poor security of Microsoft's software and nothing else. Consider: the most secure OS in the world is *nix and more UNIX and Linux servers are run on Intel processors than any other. There are lots of reasons to be concerned about the switch to Intel but your unreasoned fear of viruses is not one of them.

Second, you are quite correct that the switch to Intel will make PowerPC based computers obsolete. But you must understand that Jobs was between a rock and a hard place. Sticking with the PowerPC line is no longer an option. IBM is no longer interested in advancing the G5 line. Motorola - Freescale now - is interested only in creating PowerPC chips used as embedded appliances.

No matter what Jobs did, we were looking at the end of the PowerPC based Mac. Had Jobs not jumped to Intel his only other choice was the so called Cell being used by Sony and Microsoft in their game consoles. While based on PowerPC technology, the Cell is also significantly different from the PowerPC chips we know today. Further, while IBM and Sony are clearly interested in expanding the usage of Cell processors, there is no roadmap for LOW WATTAGE Cells that I know of. Given that Apple's best selling computers are notebooks, this is not a good thing.

Finally, you must understand that computers are by their very nature quickly made obsolete regardless of who provides the processor. But being made obsolete doesn't mean being made unusable. Even if everyone stopped making software for PowerPC based computers today I'd be able to use my PowerBook for another 2-3 years and my desktop another 3-4 years. My software is all up to date and will remain serviceable even if I can never upgrade it again. Am I sanguine about that? No! But I don't expect PowerPC support to dry up all that quickly either. Given the relative ease of creating a Universal Binary application, the cost of creating software for both Intel and PowerPC computers will not be that onerous for a wide range of applications. I don't expect games to be one of them though.

So chill out. The die has been cast.

david