On Jun 12, 2005, at 6:59 PM, Pacer wrote:

My Fellow PowerBook-philes and 'david',

This is interesting to me. Firstly, I am curious as to how the "network" at your University is run. At my alma mater they had a network which consisted of multiple layers and multiple input/ outputs to and from the WAN.

Ka-snippo.

You've pretty much described the University of Arizona network to a tee, except we never experimented with the cable modems at Resnet; the dorms have been wired, mostly, since the late 90's.

Our campus e-mail has 30-40 thousand accounts, is run on a cluster of IBM servers running AIX, using IMAP and other OSS software, like Horde and Spam Assasin.

The campus network evolved as a whole bunch of independent networks, we've still got the Netmanagers group, an anarchic bunch of sysadmins on campus who run different parts, some on a college level, like us, some on a department level. It grew this way because network use was adopted by different departments at a much different rate.

(how anarchic? The Netmanagers has always been an unofficial group; on the order of an ad hoc users group, though we're probably one of the most respected voices for IT on campus, the Administration and Faculty do listen to us.

The last president of the group (not coincidentally a big MS oriented, Central Control freak type) tried to get us recognized as official, with a budget, official representation on campus the works (or as I joked in one of the MANY e-mails debating the issue on the official mailing list) 'shiny lame uniforms, a snazzy decoder ring and a secret handshake, too' . Well no question on which side I was on ;-)

We all met and by a large margin voted *against* giving ourselves more power on Campus.

THAT'S anarchy in action!)

The main campus Systems folks provide the central backbone, and campus-wide services, and support to the jack for most places. We're one of the few bits of the campus that still control our own networks in the phone closets, mostly out of inertia than anything else. In our new building CCIT is taking that over. Hooray, no more time spent in a stale phone closet trying to track one wire through a rats nest to a half-dozen switches.

It a system that works, it's raucous sometimes, inefficient at others, but it's an extraordinarily resilient and stable network.

Arizona State in Phoenix runs their network much differently.

(Old joke: "Q: How do you get the ASU grad off your porch? A: Pay for the pizza." ;-)

They've got a far more rigid campus wide-LAN, all Microsoft-Centric, full Exchange server, the works. It's a mighty fortress.

They've also been crushed to the ground by all the big nasties to come around over the last few years; we survived Melissa, Code Red, Nimda, etc the Great Virus Wars of '02 reasonably unscathed, since our network design allows for the central computing folks who only have to really control the routers, to quickly disconnect problematic hosts form the network.

I'm a firm believer in the decentralized network model.

It also means we have a significant Mac presence on campus.

The whole laptop for everyone thing is another interesting idea to me. Honestly, I don't think laptops add much to a class if they add anything at all. I mean, sure they could be nice, but honestly it is more likely the student is playing solitaire while bored than trying to pay attention.

Oh, please, that's what universal WiFi is for; surfing the web is far more fun than solitaire. ;-)

My take is that the 'every student must have a laptop' is a solution without a problem, and a damned lucrative one, too, for whoever snags the contract to supply them.

When they become coercive: "No system other than ours is allowed on Campus" it's bad.

--
Bruce Johnson

"no matter where you go, there you are", B. Banzai