I am sending this out to several lists because it is an issue that effects
many Mac users and business owners when they upgrade to Tiger.

Now that Appletalk has been removed from OSX Tiger, I am looking for solutions
for my older equipment. I would love to here any and all suggestions. I
imagine many others will be facing this problem as well when they upgrade to
Tiger.

First are my printers. Both are Apple printers: LaserWriter 16/600 PS and
Color StyleWriter 1500. The StyleWriter was never supported by OSX even though
I have it hooked to my ethernet network with another Apple product (Apple
StyleWriter Ethernet Adapter) which works great in OS9.x and earlier. Is there
any way to keep this as a viable printer on my network?

The LaserWriter has just recently become a problem and only because Tiger dose
not support AppleTalk. Dose anyone make third party software to support this
printer over an ethernet network? Or can I hook this computer into a print
server and go around the Appletalk issue?

Lastly I have several Macs that do not support Appletalk IP. One the Quadra
630(ATA), I have been using as a file server (small Mac that uses little power
when left on 24/7.) I would really like to see these in Tiger. Is there
software that will help: Timbuktu, VNC or another that will allow me to see
the hard drive and transfer files? Any suggestions may be helpful?

Opinion and gripe coming.

Ok, why did Apple decide to leave AppleTalk out of Tiger? I know it is an old
and wordy protocol but it has been the networking standard on Macs for 20
years. This legacy solves many a problem for small business and home owners. I
can understand that Apple wouldn't want to support third party legacy products
but these are all Apple brand and Apple created equipment and protocols.
Leaving Appletalk out is a slap in the face to long time Apple users who have
supported them with purchases over the years.

Personally, I think Apple should keep straight AppleTalk as an option as a
show of support for their long time supporters and businesses.

At the very least Apple should release Appletalk into the public domain so
someone can write an open source implementation for those who need it.

Bob Titus