At 11:37 PM -0400 06/16/2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
At 05:26 PM -0700 06/16/2005, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:54 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
*nod* A combo that lets them create system architectures that aren't dictated and dumbed down by MS. What a concept. :)

Yes and no. MS doesn't dictate hardware or system architectures. So long as drivers are there MS windows could run on anything.

Uh, waitamin. I gotta research, but I remember reading about Microsoft maintaining a rather long/detailed specification as to what a PC is and how it has to work, and that Intel balked at their newest revisions, but dummied up as MS controlled everything.

Oh yea. Google is your friend. Hundreds of pages, on Microsoft's developer web site for the PC 95, PC 97, etc specifications. In html, they have glossy overviews. For OEMs, they have hardcore details in pdf and ppt. It goes way deep into the hardware level. Basically: a PC simply must conform to their specs. MS maintains full rights over those specs. If the PC doesn't conform, it "cannot" be supported by Windows. It's all even updated for Longhorn.

Now, don't misunderstand my point here. Apple has the same types of spec docs, they're just targetted a bit differently since there are no outside designers. But because Apple is using these as comms between their own OS and hardware teams, I think it tends to be more of a living document ... that will be able to include the latest and greatest...

- Dan.