G-Books wrote:
>> You'll know it if the L2 cache goes.
>> In 9.2.2 you get a error message that says
>> "the built in memory test has detected a problem with cache memory.
>> Please contact a service technician for assistance"
>> Maybe it should be updated to say "please contact Daystar for >>assistance"
>
>I must have missed something - any reason why we are advertising a >company here when all you need to do is spend 50 USD on a processor ?

When I lost the cache on my Lombard I checked E-bay for replacement processors. The 400 Mhz CPUs were going for around $100. The concern I had with a second hand processor is making sure that the cache isn't bad on the replacement and having confidence that the cache wasn't about to fail. I'm not sure if the cache weakness is found on all Lombard CPUs (a question of when it fails rather than if) or whether a fraction of the CPUs have the problem (and you might get a "good" one that would last). For $110 you can get the cache chip replaced with an aftermarket chip that presumably doesn't have the same weakness. The Daystar upgrade is more expensive ($230) but it gets you a G4 processor which might be worthwhile for some. Despite my misgivings I ended up getting a used processor along with a used Lombard (Thanks Harbormaster). I went for the deal because the new old Lombard came with 512Mb RAM, a 20 Gb drive, a CD burner and Panther all installed and integrated.
OSX rocks! Now I understand why it got all the rave reviews.

--
Andrew in Ann Arbor (finally got an iLife)