I'm not sure it will work. Before those restore DVDs started appearing, you
could pretty much use any OS X installation CD and install it on any
computer. Now, you have restore CDs or DVDs that seem to be custom
configured for a specific line of Macintosh. Is there any technical reason to do so? I'm not sure there would be any. Is Apple trying to restrict the
use of those restore disks? Maybe...

I would guess that the idea is to keep people from doing exactly what is occurring. Selling a restore disk to someone else, so that the purchasing party won't have to pay for a full copy of Tiger or whatever the OS is on the DVD. Another thing may be that Apple has rights to distribute certain 3rd party software titles on certain classes of machines. IE Marble Blast Gold can only be shipped on G4 ibooks and not on PowerBooks.

Steve