At 10:46 AM -0300 06/23/2005, Bill Briggs wrote:

Even unplugging the appliances isn't a guarantee that they would be spared. The surge can jump the gap between the plug socket and the end of the cord on the floor (remember, it just jumped a gap of a mile, so this gap of a foot is nothing).

A 2nd air jump instead of flowing thru the lower-resistance wires and water pipes in the wall? Your whole home would have to be very badly grounded.

Should be rare, but...

sigh. A few months after I moved into my current place (renter), during a minor thunderstorm, we blew a modem and a fax machine. To the basement we went... and discovered that Verizon had grounded the phone line to a floating (ungrounded) radiator pipe. Comcast's ground wire was lugged onto Verizon's! The real (grounded) water pipe was another foot to the right... Of course the pipes were clearly marked with large tags as to which was which. :\

- Dan.