on 25/06/05 00:16, Jeff Hubatka at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Just recently had the need (opportunity) to install a Lucent-branded
> WaveLAN Gold PC card into my Tibook, since I was outdoors at a local
> coffee shop. However, I couldn't get a signal at all and I didn't
> notice at the time if the lights on the card were working since it
> was daytime. I tried the same card at home on my wireless network,
> and still nothing. So I dug out another of the same card, and nothing
> happens. When I put either card in, I get the menu bar icon but the
> card doesn't show up in the Network pref pane. It's not the cards,
> because they still work in a 5300. And my PCMCIA slot still works, I
> can use it for the xD adapter for my camera or a firewire card.
> Incidentally, I've had the sourceforge driver installed for more than
> a year, since 10.2.something. Did Tiger break this driver? Is anyone
> using it successfully with 10.4?

Network drivers had to be rewritten or seriously modified for Tiger because
Apple did introduce a new API for the network kernel extensions...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting
development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N),
but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and
then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of
N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and
author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN
0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.