on 28/06/05 21:52, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> At 02:39 PM -0700 06/28/2005, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>> On Jun 28, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Jim Katz wrote:
>>> The old iBook died and we're making the switch to OSX for the first time on
>>> a G5 machine.
>>>
>>> What is good photo-handling software?  We need to batch-name-change and
>>> size-change, and basic editing.  Been using Camedia 2 and PhotoDeluxe which
>>> lack some things but have been all we really had to have.
>>
>> Graphic Converter is good, as is iPhoto. Both will come with the G5.
>> iPhoto is more of a cataloging app, though the latest version
>> includes considerably more editing chops.
>
> GraphicConverter ROCKS.  Besides a boatload of editing and retouching
> tools, it has a wonderful batch mode.  It's browser is very nice too
> - not fancy like iPhoto's, but quite functional and fast.  You keep
> your pictures in self-managed standard folders, then just drop them
> onto GC...  Thorsten Lemke, GC's developer, is very active with GC.
> On the GraphicConverter Yahoo! Group, Thorsten helps out with
> difficulties, releases betas, immediate bug fixes, etc.
>
> http://www.lemkesoft.de/

> iPhoto is ok if you have a fairly small photo library and don't do
> much image tweaking.  Nice image browser.  If your library is large,
> tho - be careful: iPhoto has serious crash and data corruption
> problems with importing large (thousands) numbers of photos at once.
> My housemate is so impressed with iPhoto that she told me she wants
> it OFF her powerbook!  Did I mention that GraphicConverter ROCKS!
>
> - Dan.

GraphicConverter is very good indeed. However, I find it has a somewhat
clunky interface that shows its origin from the old Mac OS. It has a lot of
keyboard shortcuts but whenever you bring some dialog onscreen, you can only
edit text fields, and only in one order, you can't shift-tab to go to the
previous field which makes navigating those dialogs a bit painful, IMHO...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

cretinous /kret'n-*s/ or /kreet'n-*s/ adj.: Wrong; stupid; non-functional;
very poorly designed. Also used pejoratively of people. See dread high-bit
disease for an example. Approximate synonyms: bletcherous, bagbiting,
losing, brain-damaged.