sounds like one of the memory sticks is loose, has dirty contacts, or the slot died.

john

On Jul 5, 2005, at 5:05 PM, dan_A wrote:

Hi All-

I have a Alum-book 12"/865MHz running 10.4.1
This afternoon, after using it for an hour or so I shut it down and when I turned it back on it wouldn't start up. Black screen. I tried several times with same result, doing a forced restart each time... because I couldn't get a bong using startup button. I inserted DiskWarrior CD and got a start up and went all the way to the select drive for repair window. When I selected the main drive I got a black rectangle over the DW window which said, in several languages, that I have to restart my computer. I hit the restart button and nothing. Did a forced restart and got a white screen with text telling me to restart via "mac-reboot" or use a close down command. I did a reboot and got an error message, which I stupidly didn't take the time to record, and which basically said the an enabler could not be found. My first guess is that I have corrupt PRAM or NVRAM. I tried to reset the PRAM but I'm not sure that the key set is the same as on some other machines... Option/ Command/P/R. Didn't get any additional bongs. Tried Control/Command/ P/R. No good.

I tried DW again and got it going to repair main drive directory but a DW message appeared as it was searching for directory info, forever, which said: running slow because of low memory??? I have 384 megs of RAM, not a lot, but what should be enough. I'm going to check the memory stick to see if became unseated but it doesn't seem likely since I've been running well for some time and never dropped or jarred the machine.

I would appreciate help on what you think might be happening and if this machine has a key sequence for resetting the PRAM or if that might even sound like the problem.

dan_A

I don't consider myself bald. I'm simply taller than my hair.