On Jul 6, 2005, at 8:51 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

on 06/07/05 19:29, david at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Jul 6, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jul 6, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Zoltan Batiz wrote:

Claire,

I'm afraid I have to agree with Tim when it comes to VPC.  In most
cases, VPC is too slow.

I'll third this motion. I've been installing Win XP Pro on my Mac
(800 Mhz G4) *all day long*, and I'm only about mostly done with
the Service Pack 2, much less get the VPC attached to the network
and updated further. Plus <bleeping> VPC is sucking every processor
cycle it can get it's greedy little hands on.

One major issue is the OS version you install. WinXP is a resource
hog. My homebrew PC that was snappy with Win2k crawled under Win2k.
VPC on my alBook runs Win98, Millennium, and Win2k well enough to
use. WinXP isn't acceptable at all. In fact, I wouldn't even use
WinXP on my dually G5.

And WinXP doesn't add much that can't be found in Win2000, except maybe more
fancy icons...

Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) is built in to XP Pro, but must be added to Windows 2000. I find this to be very helpful and it may actually be a partial solution to the OP's problem. I do this regularly with a server-based application in my office that is Windows only.

If she is forced to eventually get a cheap Windows box to view the MLS and connect to the office Windows server, XP will do this easily and RDC will allow the Mac and Win boxes to work together.

From Microsoft Office on Macintosh, she can use RDC to connect to and control the Windows machine, which can connect to or run the MLS and connect to the Windows server.

It doesn't avoid the annoyance of two computers to do one task, but it allows her to use her Mac for daily use, and the Windows box for the specialized purpose. The not-very-helpful administrator can be happy that he gets to ignore the Mac and only admin the Win box.

As an aside, WinXP works better in VPC 7 than Win2k.
Another side note, stay with the default allocation of 256MB of physical RAM for the XP virtual machine. VPC7 is optimized for this, and you actually get degraded performance if you do what we all have been trained to do - allocate more physical memory to a process.