On Jul 9, 2005, at 4:20 PM, Brian McEwen wrote:

On the Dark Side (heh),I saw that you could get this for $42:
NEC ND-3540A 16x Dual Layer DVD+-RW $42 at NewEgg.com

add a $24 USB2 case for it, blow off buying Quicktime Pro, and you are only costing yourself ~$30 to get a working solution for your XP machine (in my case, my wife's laptop). You'd have to be careful with multitasking perhaps, I'm not sure about underrun protection on this drive.

Why would that not also work for your Mac?

I expected the Mac multimedia to Just Work, and I'm pretty disappointed in formats natively supported, etc. I thought Apple had figured out that we live in a Big World, here, finally.

Thanks for the replies so far, and for experiences with re-encoding using ffmegX or Handbrake, both of which seem popular.

I still don't understand what it is that you're trying to do. Why not grab the DVD iso again? It sure sounded like when you grabbed it you got some corruption in there. You're not going to be re-encoding to something better than that anyway.

If you want to put the DivX on a DVD, just drag the DivX into ffmpegx and encode it for NTSC DVD. If you just want to play it, grab 3ivX and play it in Quicktime.

I think you're trying to make the whole thing a lot harder than it is.

- Dylan