Hi William,

Welcome to the club. I have had a Lombard for the last few months with a bad L2 Cache. I have been running 10.3.9 quite satisfactorily however. The only ritual I must live by is to press the reset button before startup. So far, I haven't forgot once. If I did, then I would need to go through another ritual of booting to cd, and then selecting the OSX disk and restart, but circumvent the actual restart and Shut Down instead (because bad L2 Cache Lombards won't restart). Then I press the reset and boot up. But like I say, I haven't forgotten to press the reset so haven't had to do this minor hassle.

Other then that, it runs great in OSX with a bad cache. I'm not really sure what (if any) problems would develop by running this way? I never found out why OSX does not provide alert at startup of the bad cache (as opposed to OS9 which does). I also can't zap pram because it won't restart, but I guess the reset button takes care of any issues. Luckily the reset doesn't reset the clock or then it would be unbearable.

Anyway, I have found the Lombard can be a very usable system if you can get used to following a simple procedure.
NEVER Restart!
ALWAYS reset before boot.

If you can remember these two simple rules, it works great.

I have OS9 installed but haven't used it at all. As I recall, switching back & forth gets a little more complicated, once again the key seems to be, no restart! Always cold boot when selecting a startup disk.

Until I find a deal on a faster processor, that's how I use my Lombard.

Here's a decent temp monitor I found for powerbooks which monitors the hard drive temp only on Lombards. This is for OSX. Not sure how accurate it is but it gives some indication of what is happening. I'm guessing cpu temp is not possible for the Lombard but I'd like to hear otherwise if anybody knows.

    Dave

The biggest annoyance I have noted is that the Lombard will not startup unless I first hit the reset on the back of the machine. Pressing the power button generates a bong, but nothing further happens.