Does your hard drive have a partition for OS9 ? or a firewire drive or the removable 10 Gig hard drives that goes into the expansion bays? I had those problems about 10.2,.4 OS 9.2.2 ran perfect, even using Photoshop and a graphics intense game anything I could throw at it.

When trying to start OS X, all the stuff you mentioned are the same symptoms I had, so I called Apple 6 weeks later, free support off the 10.2 purchase for one of the 3 Pismos and the first guy was not slurping his soda and sounded pretty on the know. He said that OS X requires the video chip on it's startup and 8 megs is just barely enough, he said I might have a weak video chip. Now as far as I know chips work or do not work. I was a bit skeptic I hate code. So he said for $350.00 that included shipping they would swap out a M.B. and you would get a new/used video chip. I went for it and OS X 10.2.4 ran fine but I had to use OS9 for 2 months and found Os 9's lack of quirkiness a cool glass of ice tea. It just ran fine and until Panther came out I just used 9. So the weak video chip covered the whole M.B. and any possibilities.

I also would be of course skeptical of the upgrade first. I am typing on my Pismo right now, great books. I think the best Apple ever turned out. So far they can't get me to bite on a new one. I have a few iBooks 1.2 but I have lugged this pismo everywhere
Good luck
Geoff